10 best foods to eat before bed for better sleep
Looking for ways to improve the quality of your sleep? Sleep mists on pillows, meditation, avoiding digital screens, reading a book – there a seemingly numerous ways we can find when looking for ways to improve the quality of your sleep.
But have you ever considered how your eating habits are affecting your sleep? Have you ever wondered what are the best foods you can eat before bed to improve your sleep? Ely Mattress are here to share some pearls of wisdom with you in what is considered to enhance your sleep and some foods that experts say will hinder sleep.
Sleep is very crucial for us as it helps to recover all the lost energy during the day, and that is why it’s good to understand what types of food help your body to relax and which will make it alert at the wrong times.
Here are 10 foods that are said to improve your sleep:
- Nuts – Many sorts of nuts are a good source of heart-healthy fats. Walnuts and almond are among the greatest in this collection as they have a greater percentage of melatonin which helps the sleep cycle of your body. When eaten before bed, they also increase the blood levels of the hormones which aids you to have the best undisturbed sleep through the night.
- Try a cuppa’ before bed. Bedtime Tea such as camomile is said to be relaxing for the mind, body and soul. It’s a great routine to get yourself into, with different herbal teas, ass some are extremely good at providing a restful and better sleep. Some favourite night time beverages in the tea department include, Chamomile, ginger, peppermint or passion fruit tea are great pre-bed tea choices as they relax your body muscles and induces a mild sedative effect. Drink tea at least an hour before bed for peaceful sleep.
- Olive are a great bedtime snack – who’d have thought it? Well we have found that foods rich in healthy fats like olives, nuts, and avocados are great night-time foods that can keep you feeling fuller longer and also help to stabilize blood sugar levels, so you will be unlikely to wake from a hunger pang!
- Salmon – Like olives, salmon is also high in fat which helps to endorse a more relaxing sleep. It also comprises of melatonin and tryptophan, an amino acid which encourages sleep and signals to your mind to become a calmer state.
- Cherries – In your search for a peaceful night sleep, many articles will mention how cherries are fantastic aid for sleep. Thanks to the melatonin, cherries, they help induce sleep at the right times. For maximum intake of melatonin from cherries, look for the tart ones
- Coconut – Pina Colada your fave drink? Well, it’s good to know the pure coconut version is a great food item to consume before bedtime because it it rich in magnesium.
- Avocado – The fashionable and famous guac can help you catch for Zzz’s because avocados contain healthy fats and magnesium. This is a great pre-bed snack on some crackers. Any excuse for another crushed avocado on toast pic for Insta..
- Kiwis – They are rich in Vitamin C, E, folate, and the super-happy brain chemical, serotonin, kiwis are an astonishingly wonderful as a bedtime fruit. One study found that four weeks of eating kiwi two times per day improved the sleep commencement, duration, and effectiveness on adults with sleep disturbances.
- Bananas – Another wonderful sleep-inducing fruit that is a perfect bedtime snack to help you sleep better. They contain tryptophan, magnesium, and potassium, eating a banana before bed can help you fall asleep sooner. In addition to the diversity of sleep-inducing assets of allowing your body and mind to wind down by encouraging a sense of tranquillity.
- Oatmeal is hearty bedtime snack because if you’re hungry you’re better off eating whole gains instead of refined pasta or bread to fill you up.
The good thing about oatmeal is that it triggers insulin production, causing your blood sugar to rise, which in turn promotes a sense of drowsiness. Because oats are a great source of melatonin, a bowl of oatmeal before bed can help you fall asleep in no time!
Have you struggled with sleep for some time? Eating the right foods can help, but another aspect that helps your sleep quality is the mattress quality.
Try our Ely mattress – We offer a 30-night trial and each mattress comes with a 10-year guarantee! We’re sure you’ll get a better night’s sleep with a luxurious Ely Mattress.